Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fireman save my child? Fat chance.

In case you missed it, Monroe city firefighters and their sympathizers from some other fire departments had an informational picket outside city hall before Monday night's city council meeting.
As I said before, some of my best friends are firefighters, but some of my best friends' co-workers appear to be horribly out of shape. The group picketing all wore bright yellow t-shirts. It looked like a Big Bird convention. I recognized some of the fittest as guys I know and respect. I didn't realize a lot of others were in such sad shape. Or whether they even were firefighrers. I'm just glad they all know CPR. My question is whether the city has any liability if one of these guys croaks on the job. Are REGULAR annual or semi-annual fitness tests required? Do they regularly have stress tests? Or were most of those guys just a bunch of fat friends walking the line? It was a horrible advertisement for fitness-for-duty. I can't imagine some of these guys carrying someone out of a burning house. If the city wants to negotiate something meaningful into the NEXT contract, maybe they should consider stiffening the physical fitness/body mass index requirements.
Talk about trimming the fat in the department. It's pretty obvious where they could start (if those guys were firefighters).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home